Riding has been completely out of the question since it’s been raining cats and dogs 🐈🐕 in our little ‘hood. This seemed like a good time to work on some new pillow cases for the living room. The pillows were original with the furniture (2003) and had gotten threat-bare from use. Our Pastor’s wife, such a dear lady and so very talented, makes no-sew throws from fleece material. She was going to teach me the technique but was too busy with family matters. No problem. I went on YouTube and learned how to cut the fabric, then tie the knots to keep the pillow ticking inside. It’s so simple! And Hobby Lobby to the rescue for the inexpensive material. There were many, many patterns and colors to chose from. Hobby Lobby is definitely one of my happy places. 😘
With this change I’ve added a little more color to the room using a green tartan pattern for one side (which happens to also be very similar my Scottish Keith Clan tartan), and a solid green on the other. The knots of super easy. With that success concluded, I thought I’d try my hand at making a long narrow pillow of solid green for bracing my head on the sofa during those achy times.
The fleece material is super soft. Very comfy. Hopefully, I can keep Maggie from chewing on them! Little stinker. 😁
By the way, it took less pillow ticking than I thought would be necessary. I had pulled too much out of the original bag thinking I would need it. Then stuffing the remainder back into the bag was like trying to put toothpaste in the tube! 😂 Good grief. I’m sure it was very amusing to watch.
It’s raining again. Time for a break. I guess I’ll get more coffee.
I hope y’all have a really nice week. Ride With Christ.
Me and my Big Mouth have been at it again. I decided some time ago to repaint the old laundry room com pantry and dog washing area. It’s also the route that we, and most of our guests, choose to enter the house. Thus the badly needed update. Steve quite rightly tried to talk me out of this quest but the poor man was pushed into it by my constant (albeit sweetly applied) coercion. After a great deal of eye rolling, he did give in. He’s such a pip. I really don’t deserve him.
Color spectrum decided, we proceeded to our favorite hardware store Farmers & Builders (aka Ace Hardware) in Blackshear. You should have seen Mr. Ian’s face when I said, oh so vaguely, “We need a gallon of light green paint.” 😂 He laughed … and laughed … and laughed. 😂 And when he finally caught his breath, he showed us all the green color choices. My goodness! I don’t blame him a bit for disappearing afterwards, especially after a nice young lady piped up and said, “I want to paint my walls gray …” He must hear that a lot ’cause I thought he was going to faint.
After some deliberation, and mild disagreements, we both chose the Clark+Kensington “Bon Voyage” (29D-1u). One can see from the following photos how much brighter and cleaner 👍 looking this color is than the Forest Green. And, yes, it took two coats. That’s OK. I was expecting that. Here’s the before’s and after’s:
As an added touch, we also ordered new brushed chrome outlet covers to match the handles on the cabinets. Those should arrive sometime next week.
I’m very pleased with the outcome. It was well worth the shoulder pain and temporary inconvenience.
I also promised, under penalty of 30 lashes with a wet noodle if I re-nig, 😇 that I will not even think about any further projects on this scale without also considering the cost of hiring someone with a younger body to do it for us. Neither of us can take doing this kind of work anymore.
A couple of years ago, Steve built an “outhouse” (outside lavatory with a real toilet and sink) so that when I’m gardening or we’re having gatherings, there will be a convenience outside. It was nice but because it’s sealed so well with no light source, it was dark as a cave. There’s no electricity in it at the moment as it’s too far from the house or workshop to hook up easily nor cheaply. Thus putting a light in it would be too expensive at the moment. I thought, why not put in a window? Well, after looking around and thinking about it for awhile, I didn’t want to put something fragile there. When we have storms debris can fly through the air with the greatest of ease. A broken window would not be a good thing and would only make more work for us. I came up with the idea to use Plexiglas. Unbreakable and cheap! Check!
We bought a 12 X 14 sheet from our local Dubberly Glass Shop. Steve made a nice pine wood frame for pennies that was already laying around in his workshop. We painted it the Forest Green to match the trim on our house and I decorated it on the inside with Gallery Glass paint for the swirls to make it look frosted for a bit more privacy. Then I used regular craft paint for the butterfly and flowers to add a bit more privacy. I also wanted to make it more interesting. All this was painted on the inside of the “glass”, by the way, as it can’t take the weather.
First, we took turns painting the natural tan plywood a bright white on the inside walls. It lightened up a bit immediately! Steve then cut the proper size opening on the “outhouse” west facing wall. He installed the window with wood screws so it can’t pop out easily. It’s also heavily caulked on the underside to seal it from bug intrusions. Bugs are a real probably in Southeast Georgia. The only thing remaining is to make a painted frame for the inside of the window to make it look finished. Steve had to stop for awhile as he was having inner ear problems. He’s OK now and I told him not to hurry. It’s only something cosmetic that doesn’t need to be finished anytime soon, or at all, unless he can or wants to.